03 November 2009

living confidently

A common question asked of me is something along the lines of "what are you doing after graduation?" It's hard for me to answer the question honestly and positively, because I am struggling to get to my feet at this point. Yes I am working, but not in a job that has anything to do with my degree. Talking with co-workers, they ask what in the world I am doing working there. As frustrating as it is, It isn't shaking me. I am done questioning whether I am in the right spot or not, because God is showing me often that this is where He wants me. How do I know? Its not like I have the dream job or anything. Should I be upset that I don't have an aviation job right now? Wouldn't God provide that for me if He really meant for me to be here? I say no.

A friend told me a couple months ago that I should not see God as a sugar daddy. Yes, he owns the cattle on a thousand hills, but He isn't in the business of delivering life on a silver platter to those who follow Him faithfully. Instead of a silver platter, he is giving me puzzle pieces, like i mentioned a while back. The most recent one happened 2 weeks ago when my parents were here. I am getting little glimpses, huge blessings, that tell me I am where He wants me.

Mom and dad came for a week to help me get some furniture and get set up in my apartment. They rented a truck so we could transport everything, hoping we would be able to find a few things for really really cheap on craigslist and such. We got ready to go garage sale-ing Saturday morning. As I sat down to look up the local garage sales (beginning of october gets to be slim pickings around these parts) I prayed that God would just provide the right stuff at decent prices.

So we set out, stop at a few sales that didn't have much, and weren't very good prices. As we were driving around, mom saw a box in the median advertising a sale. Couldn't hurt to stop and check it out, right? So we went in to look around, and everything was priced to clear out. The owner of the stuff, an 80+ year old woman, had just moved to Oregon to get away from the snow and ice. Her kids are still here, and they are selling her household of stuff. So I got: a hide-a-bed couch, a lazyboy love seat, both sides recline, 4 upholstered dining room chairs, a bookshelf, a desk, a full size bed, a hoover vacuum cleaner, and a few other odds and ends. And all of this? 90 bucks. I would say God provided much more than I needed, all in one day. We spent the rest of the week taking care of other important things like getting me stocked up on food (love costco), a few other furniture things we didnt get at the sales, and wintery goods (studs will be nice when the snow comes). It was a crazy, busy, productive, blessed week, and I am glad I got to show my parents around a little bit of Alaska.

Anchorage at sunset (as seen from Pt. Woronzof)

No comments: