09 November 2009

fun weekend

probably the only weekend until Christmas time that I will have an entire weekend off, I took full advantage of it. I did a bit of cooking, and participated in my first "real" Alaskan experience.
Potter's Marsh is about a mile south of town, where the Seward highway hits the flat lands. It was formed when the Alaska railroad was built. Now it provides a sanctuary of sorts for wildlife, and a great half mile slough for skaters in the winter. There were a few holes (from gas bubbles, not thin ice!) and we figured we had 4-5 inches of ice under us. It snowed about an inch on us the 2 hours we were out there, but when I got back to my apartment, there were hardly even flurries. Not to worry though! As the night went on, the snow decided to come up here, and I am looking out at 2-3 inches on the ground.

Ken, a guy at church, is notorious for counting down the days of darkness we have left. He said today that we only have 6 weeks left of it!! And it hasn't been too horrible. Yeah sure its hard to get out of bed before the sun at 8am... and watching it get dark at around 4:30 is a little sad, but its not unbearable, and its not nearly as horrible as everyone makes it out to be. Between winter and work, I am loving life here in Alaska!


dinner friday night!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

On the dishes your Mumsie got fro free at a garage sale by trading for some boysenberries from the garden!!! And then packed and carried up to you in anchorage!

Karen said...

jealous! I wish i could be there to ice skate w/ you guys! Sounds like so much fun!