27 April 2011

a hope of spring, and how nature tells the weather

When I first visited Alaska, I heard the tale that winter's arrival can be predicted based on when the topmost flower on a fireweed stock blooms. I never paid attention to how true that was, but its a fun tale to tell visitors as they admire the unique purple wildflower.

Another tale I just heard this week is the relationship of pussywillow's growth to the end of overnight freezing. When it grows to about an inch long, it shouldn't freeze anymore. Or so goes the tale.

It amazed me how fast everything has melted and dried up. We went from having a lake in the middle of the runway, and mud a foot deep, to having a solid runway that should be ready to use by next week. The band of water around the lake is several feet wide, growing every day. And there is a big spot of open water in the channel between the lake and the bay.

Can't wait for summer!

No comments: