20 April 2011

Spring conference

Last weekend, my sleepy winter village exploded. In addition to perfect spring weather, brothers and sisters from neighboring villages loaded up for a weekend of encouragement and refreshment. Sessions started Friday night, and ended Sunday morning with communion at Church.

Each session started with a few songs before the kids left for their program. The music continued, with testimonies interspersed, for a few hours. Then the last half hour, a preacher from Anchorage spoke. The music was somewhat foreign to me-- old hymns with a country-western twang to them, being led by a Native gentleman. At least everyone else was loving it. It was cool to hear testimonies from a huge variety of people. From young missionary couples sharing their struggles, to old natives telling their fishing stories, I was encouraged by the community of believers surrounding me.

Saturday morning, I helped in the nursery. A friend from Soldotna asked if I would help, to give the mothers an entire weekend off. My friend, in all of her wisdom and experience raising 4 boys, decided we should take the morning session on Saturday. BOY was she right! The kids weren't cranky cause it was past their bedtime, and there were less of them total. Of course we had our cry-ers, our trouble makers, and our escape artitsts. I had one little boy fall asleep in my arms for an hour or two. All in all, it was enjoyable to hang out with the little kids.

The session before dinner was shorter, less attended, and broke off into prayer groups toward the end. I was in a group with ladies from several different villages. We shared needs in our lives. After listening to some of the other ladies stories, I realize how small my problems are. One lady shared about the hopeless situation in her village with few jobs, and unemployment driving villagers to drinking. Another shared her struggles to forgive men that abused her in her past, and how she is opening her home to young girls who have faced the same abuse. Of the entire weekend, this prayer time had the biggest impact on me. I realized my need to not only pray for the villages in this region, but I need to find a way to visit and encourage my sisters in Christ that don't necessarily have good Christian friends to hang out with.

The entire weekend, I spent time with a really awesome friend from the area. I met her three years ago when I came out here for the first time. We instantly clicked, and have kept in touch over the years online. Its really awesome to get to hang out with her every once in a while when she comes through, and this weekend was no exception.

The weekend was so much fun, I didn't want to go to work Monday!

No comments: