16 October 2010

what makes the cold colder?

Its getting cold here. Expected, as its trudging through the middle of October. I love coming home to a warm home, maybe taking a nice hot shower, putting on comfy clothes, and grabbing a hot cup of tea. Wednesday was no exception to my desire to finish a good day’s work and relax in the usual comforts.

The first problem was apparent upon walking in my door. It was a bit chilly. As I later discovered, the building was out of heating oil. I remember noticing a slight chill in the air when I was home for lunch. Considering the building is not insulated for winter living, a bit of the “barely above freezing” weather we have started settling into my home.

So what does one do when its cold in their living environment? A few solutions come to mind, but the top one on my mind was a nice hot shower. So I turn on the shower water, and wait for it to warm up. Well, it warms up, but not near as warm as I like it to be. Especially not hot enough to take off the chill that is setting in. I hop in the shower, hoping that it would warm a little more. Wrong. It got cooler, and cooler, and cooler, till it was barely lukewarm. I sighed, shut off the shower, and headed out to make a hot cup of tea.

I turned the stove knob to “lite” and waited. Nothing happened. Its an old stove, so I try again. Still nothing. No smell of gas, no whooshing of gas going to the burner... the gas must be out.
What a great night to crank up the electric blanket, curl up, and go to sleep!

No comments: