02 October 2010

a new chapter

Someday, a book may be written about me. Not saying that I think my life is any more significant than anyone elses, just saying that it could happen. In the event that it does happen, I believe september of 2010 will mark a new chapter in that book. Not just because I turned another year older. Though I am young to most people, I have had several birthdays. Not just because I moved. I didn't move till I left for college... but I have done quite a bit of moving since then.

This new page, this new adventure in my life, is marked by a different culture. I no longer have cell service. While I still have my cell phone, it functions as an alarm clock, not a constant connection to friends. I don't live close to a grocery store. Everything is flown in, about an hour long flight. I no longer drive to work. My commute involves walking about 100 yards. There is no pavement here. 4 wheelers on the local dirt paths are the favored mode of transportation. I am still in the US postal service, but my address is simply general delivery. No street number, no road name, just "general delivery"

Yes, I am still in the United States. Just living in the last frontier: the bush of Alaksa. And here is where the adventure begins.

No comments: