06 October 2010

a week later

Well, I can't say this is the longest I have survived in the bush, as I spent a week and a half in the brooks range last summer. Give it another 5 days. That record will be gone. Unless I don't survive that long...

Speaking of survival, there has been a brown bear mulling around town recently. One of my neighbors informed me that they tend to cause trouble in the town right before they go into hibernation. One of my coworkers shot at it with a 22 (cause a 22 is going to take down a bear...) at around 11:30. Later in the night, some friends reported their trash being strewn around their yard. The dog started howling at around 3 in the morning, so they checked out the door, and it was in their yard. And to think that the only thing waking me up is my stupid heater rattling. I guess its better than a bear on my porch... Shh, don't tell my grandmother!! She would probably worry. Come to think of it, my mother might be pretty worried at this point as well. Don't worry, mom, I have a can of bear spray right outside my door.

Speaking of bear spray, have you ever read the instructions on the can? You are supposed to spray downwind. And after the situation is under control, you are supposed to immediately vacate the area, as other bears will be attracted to the dilluted spray. You are only out of range after two miles of running like a large dangerous mammal is chasing you. And you need to run directly upwind, as the wind is carrying the peppery fragrance the other way. This is all something *I* plan on taking into careful consideration when trying to fend off an angry bear. Or maybe I just need to get a gun.

Speaking of guns... sorry, I don't have anything to say about guns. Just following suit with the rest of this post.

No comments: