12 March 2010

the problem with being still...

... Is God usually starts talking. And its not always things that i want to hear. (But then again, how often am I going to hear God saying, "Good job! YOU are doing an excellent job, look at YOU go!") I have made pros and cons lists, tried to argue it in my head, and otherwise convince myself one way or the other. But that reasoning method still has an awful lot to do with me. I think I need to take a step back and put God at the center of my reasoning instead of me.

I have been thinking a lot about Moses recently, and comparing my life to some lessons learned from him.

He tried to liberate one Israelite doing his own thing, by killing the Egyptian. And what happened? He spent the next 40 years in the desert tending sheep.
Parallel one: I tried to go to college on my own. Am I going to be paying off my school bills until I am 40?

Fast forward 40 years. He settled into his life when all the sudden God calls him to lead. Moses hits this crisis of belief. To ignore it would be disobedience. To follow it would mean a total, radical change of life. Of course, Moses shows his self-centeredness with the excuses he starts throwing out. "I can't speak, how will they know I am from you? Me, me, me, me me...." Moses would have to forget about all the things that make up Moses, and go out as a servant of God.

Parallel two: No, God is not calling me to lead (not yet anyways). But I keep getting pushed toward a possible job opportunity. Its out in the middle of nowhere (accessible only by air). It's not exactly the hopping location for a single 20 something to launch her thrilling social life. Grocery shopping is a little different out there... I dont even know how it works. I just know they have powdered milk and tang. I know a bunch of people that are coming up this way this summer, and I was REALLY looking forward to spending some weekends with them. Do you hear my excuses rooted in the same selfish motives as Moses?
One nice piece is that it won't be a "rest of my life" sort of move. It would definitely be career building, and I could see where I go from there.

I think it really comes down to giving up myself and my selfish motives for something that would be a couple years of my life. It would be a career building opportunity, and a big networking opportunity. If this is even God's will. Which, I get the feeling that it is. But lots of prayer will be going into this. I would appreciate you adding to it!

No comments: