03 March 2010

la chaim!

La Chaim is hebrew for "to life!" Yes, I learned that from fiddler on the roof. Only because we played the music in high school, not from having actually seen the musical.

I think the more time I live in Alaska, the more this time of year will be my favorite. Sure, I love the long summer days, the golden leaves in september, and the promise of snow as the temperature plummets. But right now, as the days are getting longer, we have piles of snow everywhere, and more has been falling the past couple of days. I know that its about to get really gross as it warms up just enough to melt everything, resulting in grimy roads and fithy cars. But right now, its white, and pretty.

As the days are getting longer, i can feel the pain of darkness melting away. We are getting more than 10 of daylight, nearly twice as much as we got in the deepest of winter. I can really start to feel the sunlight. Hopefully soon, I will feel its warmth. As the sun shows its face more an more every day, i feel life being breathed into the frozen northland. La Chaim--to life.

No comments: