07 December 2009

Life without...

...a car
is tough, but do-able. It helps that work is less than 10 blocks away. And that my co-workers don't mind giving me rides home. And that one of my co workers lent me her yaktrax. Much better than slipping in the middle of a busy intersection. Co workers are also willing to take me grocery shopping, and let me tag along on some outings, and that sort of thing. The bus isn't a terrible option for going out during the day either.

...a camera
is really not suffering at all. And I do have a camera, its just the definition of point and shoot, as the LCD screen on the back is cracked and their is no viewfinder. I could get batteries for it, but my current computer doesn't have a card reader for this specific type of memory card. Until I get something done about it, my camera phone has been sufficing.

...sunshine
is dark. Well, we do still have some sunshine, but the sun rises at 10am and sets at 3:45. Aside from wanting to sleep in till 11 on my days off, it really doesn't bother me that much.

December sunrise on the way to work at 9:45 in the morning

1pm in December, looking south. Low sun and long shadows.


Sunset reflecting off the Chugach mountains in the East, around 3:30 in the afternoon

...warmth
is a matter of opinion. Around 17 degrees is when it starts feeling cold for me now. Ask me in a month or so, and 17 will probably sound tropical. It warmed up last week above freezing, and I was ready to go to the beach.

...friends
is tough. Yeah, I have made a few friends here, but not to the close extent that I had back in the college days. I miss the community of everyone being so close. When you wanted to talk to someone, you just walk to their dorm room across campus. Its definitely been different; an adjustment.

...roommates
is a new experience. I hope I don't get too used to living alone, because I do like having people around. But I have noticed that I talk to myself a lot more these days... maybe I should be worried about that one

...aviation
is not a permanent situation. At least I am praying that its not. several airlines up here have right seat programs that I am looking into. Maybe one of these doors will turn out to be the right one!

2 comments:

Karen said...

The lack of sunlight up there is incredible! And i can totally relate to your adjustment to not being in college and the social life therin. This is my first year out of college, too, and it's so wierd! Sometimes I don't mind being "off by myself", other times it's really hard!

Echojuliet said...

I totally agree! There are some nights when I come home and am so thrilled to be alone, but other nights that I come home and wish I had someone just to hang out with... its an interesting place in life!