20 December 2009

The cello lady

Wide eyes. Noses flattened against the glass. Hiding behind walls, peeking out shyly. Waving. Singing along proudly. All are drawn in by the melodies. My fingers dance precisely across the strings, trying to keep focused on the music while smiling at these children entranced by the simple Christmas carols.

I played my cello at work this weekend. There is something about live music that kind of soothes a busy shopping day the week before Christmas, and I really enjoyed the chance to play. But more than playing, I enjoyed watching the kids' reactions. Don't get me wrong, I got a lot of compliments from the adults too. But the kids' reactions reminded me of how Christ encourages us to be like children. To not be concerned with what is right and acceptable, but to stand in awe, to draw near, and to sing along.

No comments: