17 February 2009

Mama Rosemary explained to me the novelties of crosswalks. To someone who is used to playing frogger in the streets of Nairobi, I can see how incredible it is that cars will stop at a simple push of a button. Because of the Lifepoint people being here this weekend, I wont be going to the orphanage till next weekend.

I am excited to see the team from Lifepoint. I will be spending tomorrow and Sunday with them. It will be amazing to see familiar faces. They go home Sunday night.

This week I spent most of my time working on the project plane. Last week, I helped take apart the landing gear of the DC-3, and worked on stripping the paint out to get ready for painting it. It was a good experience, but after a day and a half of paint stripper, I had enough. It wouldn’t be so bad if it didn’t burn about 2 seconds after it hit skin. Anything that peels paint after 5 minutes surely can’t be healthy to touch.

I finally felt like I really got my feet under me this week. I had just been hanging on the past several weeks, just trying to keep track of which way is up. Now I feel like I have established myself, even though I am still a new mechanic.

I helped load a caravan this week. Well, mostly stood there and watched while the guys threw around the heavy things. The big things were solar panels, huge batteries, and refrigerators. It makes sense that the fridge needs power to run, but I really didn’t put all the pieces together until I started talking to the guy who was taking the cargo to its remote destination. He was talking about his buddy that is a solar engineer, then he started talking about the clinics. The remote clinics can get the medication they need to treat AIDS problems, but they can’t store it, because they don’t have any way to refrigerate it. It really reminded me of how much good aviation is doing in these remote areas of the world.

No comments: