06 February 2009

4 February

“How do you find Kenya?” Chris asked.
“I like it here,” I answered honestly.
“But you come from the land of opportunity!” He protested, implying that Kenya didn’t have much to offer an American. America may be considered the land of opportunity, but there is more to the world than a single country can offer. Besides, that country is not so opportune when my friends with a 4 year bachelors degree cannot find a job because of the economical situation. Later they were asking if I planned to come back to Kenya after I graduate from University. I told them I hope to, but it will be a long time.

I think I proved myself to them yesterday. We are doing major maintenance on the DC-3. And by major, I mean that we are completely disassembling the landing gear. I don’t know what all we are going to be doing to this plane, but that is what we were working on yesterday. I broke 900 in. lbs of torque, taking a bolt off. They were quite impressed that I could do that.

The ladies retreat last weekend was fun, but I didn’t really know anyone there, so I spent a lot of time off reading on my own. I met someone from Independence, OR. And Jan Smith, one of the Missionaries in Residence at LeTourneau from my freshman and sophomore year, was there! She and her husband are back in Africa as the AIM executive directors of the Eastern region, living in Nairobi. It was SO good to see a familiar face, and to talk to her about everything that has happened at LeTourneau since their departure. I want to go to the coast before I leave, and she would love to go with me. Let the plotting begin… :)

Monday I was working on the project plane. Two 206s, circa 1980s, were purchased and disassembled in the states. The first one is reassembled, and has been flying this week. The second one still has a long ways to go. I got to do some riveting on it before we started making cargo tie downs out of stainless steel. I enjoy working with aluminum. Most of aircraft structures are aluminum, and it is really easy to work with. Not so with stainless steel. It is difficult to cut, easy to burn, really hard to drill, especially when in the vicinity of aluminum, and generally difficult to work with. So we fought our way through those. I was going to continue on them yesterday morning, but they pulled me off to work on the DC-3.

For lunch we went to the bucket lady. I honestly don’t think I will be eating there again. I had to stop working around 3:45 because I did not feel well. I was not able to eat dinner, and almost threw up several times last night. I didn’t ever lose it, but I really thought I was going to. I did not go to work today because of it.

I got adopted by a Kenyan Mama. She works the reception desk, and she is Mama to most of the ladies that work there. She is the type who is praying for Mr. Right for Beth and Grace, and after they find there Mr. Right, then Michelle. Since I am her newest born, I will be the last to be married off. Michelle was her youngest, and she got all the chocolate from Mama. So when Mama informed Michelle that I would be getting all the chocolate, Michelle expressed great sorrow over her loss.

Mama works with an HIV/aides orphanage. 150 kids who have lost their parents to aides. I am going to go out with her one weekend to meet the kids and spend some time with them. So those of you who wanted to adopt a kid, I am sure I will find plenty for you :) Don’t worry, I will take lots of pictures!

Ok… back to homework!!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Ha, well i figured out how to get updates automatically i think :) I'm glad you found an adoptive mama! ;) that makes things more fun and you feel more at home faster! yay! <3