14 May 2012

Carpal tunnel, part 2

I decided to talk to my supervisor about it.  We filled out the workman's comp paperwork, and I went in to see an orthopedic physician.  He confirmed what I had suspected: carpal tunnel.  We discussed options.  Since I was doing my best with the brace and anti-inflammatories, the only remaining options were cortizone shots or surgery.  He said he wouldn't do surgery until a nerve conduction study was done to see how bad it is, so while I waited for that, I could think on the two options. 

According to more research, I learned that the vibrations of air tools are a big aggressor of carpal tunnel. In fact, according to the department of labor's list of careers most likely to have carpal tunnel claims, maintenance is higher up than computer/desk work.  Women are also 3 times as likely to get it than men.  Lots of things seemed to be stacking up against me, despite my very young age. 

After Christmas, I went for a shocking experience, which was really not that much fun.  They send electricity through various nerves to test how much resistance there is.  Between that test and a follow up appointment with the physician, things had improved, and I was going on vacation for two weeks, which is a great chance to rest my hand.  I decided to see if the time off would help, and be in touch if symptoms got worse.  The physician thought it was a great plan, and reminded me that we always have surgery in our back pocket as an option if needed. 

I was right, vacation helped.  No symptoms, no pain, but I wasn't using my hands nearly as much as when I am at work 8 hours a day.  When I got back to work, it wasn't long before symptoms kicked in again, as bad or worse than before.  I got to the point where I couldn't hold on to tools, my hand would go numb when working in inspection holes, and I couldn't buck or shoot rivets with my left hand. Despite wearing a brace at night, I wasn't sleeping well.

After much prayer and consideration, I called the doctor.  I knew something needed done, and I knew it needed done sooner rather than later.  We had a schedule lined out at work for finishing the 207, but I knew that I wouldn't be much use if I couldn't do any riveting. 

Throughout the process, I felt a lot of pressure from different people.  Certain coworkers implied I just needed to man up and deal with it, while others understood the problems.  Some friends advised me to take care of my body above all else, while others implored me to avoid surgery.  Still others told me that I don't want this on my medical records.  But the decision was mine to make, and I made it. 

To be continued...

No comments: