08 July 2011

a day in the hangar

I have been working in the hangar for 9 months now, and have not introduced you to the characters I work with. I have given them all nicknames based on events that have taken place since I have been here, and that is a good way to introduce them. These nicknames aren't what I call them on a regular basis, but I will use them here to keep things sorta straight.

Dom- He's the Director of Maintenance. He got his mechanic's license through an internship here, and has been wrenching for 10+ years. Now he mostly works on paperwork. I usually spend lunch break (when the weather is bad) in the same room as him, since we both live far enough away that its not entirely worth it to go home over lunch. He plays his video games, and I entertain myself on the computer.

Sprocket- He ordered a sprocket for a bike or 4 wheeler, and it turned out to be the wrong one. It was really shiny and pretty, so I suggested he make a clock out of it. I don't know if he ever did, but the sprocket sat on his tool box for a majority of the spring.

Radio- Claim's he isn't very good at anything electronic, so he hops on any project of that variety to improve his skills. I try not to borrow tools from him, as he really doesn't like people using his tools.

Redneck- had a 6 wheeler that he decided to tear one axle off of, dubbing it the "fix wheeler." Most likely to jury rig anything that's not an airplane together, but pretty smart when it comes to making something work and be airworthy as well. Now lives in Soldotna working on projects there.

Parts Girl- She comes in twice a week to order parts, organize parts, and otherwise make our lives as mechanics easier. I don't know what we would do without her!

the tall one-actually that's the name his wife calls him. He's 6'4" or something like that. Grew up out here as well.

"everything that doesn't fly" guy- (OK, so I need to come up with a better name for this one) He is probably smarter than anyone else in the hangar, but he doesn't have any desire to work on airplanes. So he is usually beyond his eyeballs in grease working on vehicles, toyo stoves, machinery, and wiring. He is building a new house for his family, and they are hoping to move in by the end of July last I heard.


There are a couple others that haven't been around long enough for me to come up with good names. I will tell you about them when I get a good name for them. There are also a few that I am not in quite as direct contact with (ground crew, dispatch, and guy in charge of flight ops and personnel and just about anything else) so its not likely that I will be telling stories about them.

2 comments:

paquito said...

So the question is, do your dearly named coworkers know who "Trouble" is? ;-)

Echojuliet said...

its more of the summer crew that really have identified me as trouble, rather than the permanent staff... I am surprised they haven't figured it out yet!