07 March 2011

80 degrees of teperature change

Perhaps the most enjoyable aspect of my trip was the warm sunshine. When I pulled into the Anchorage airport at around 11:30 PM, the welcome sign indicated an outside air temperature of 7 degrees. Better than the -20 registered at home.

The first stop on my trip was Seattle. I had a really quick layover there. So quick that I basically walked off one airplane and on to the other. As I boarded, I could feel the cool damp Seattle air. There were piles of mostly melted snow from their weird winter weather as we taxiied for the runway.

Even though I slept through both flights, I found this detail interesting. The flight from Anchorage to Seattle is 4 hours, while only 3 hours from Seattle to San Diego. Not only is Alaska really big, its really far away. This detail baffled acquaintances throughout my trip, and contributed to the "hardcore Alaskan mountain woman" reputation I gained.

When we landed in sunny San Diego, I was in heaven. It was around 60 degrees, not too hot to melt, but warm enough that I could remove layers and soak up some sunshine. I managed to get sunburned twice during the week, but both times faded into a tan. I remember looking in the mirror and being surprised at how nice I looked, even before makeup. I realized it was mostly to do with the fact that I wasn't the ghastly pale Alaskan that I am used to seeing.

On the day I left, the weather couldn't have been more beautiful. I kept asking myself why in the world I was getting on an airplane and leaving. Especially after I read the weather observation from home. -15. I did what I could to enjoy the last rays of warmth before we ascended into the subzero temperatures of 757 appropriate cruising altitudes. I'm pretty sure I moped all the way to Seattle, my entire layover while observing the gray drizzle, and the entire flight into Anchorage. I was redeemed some the next day by sunshine, but it was not warm. I could feel any color I had gained during the week being sucked out as I covered every inch of skin with layers. As much as I want to absorb some more rays, I realized that frostbite isn't worth it.

Sunny San Diego, I will admit it. I am smitten with you.

No comments: