22 February 2010

maps

I was given a destination. So what do I do? Usually, I turn to Google maps, where I can get a detailed view of the roads leading to my destination, the satellite view, and a topographical representation of the terrain. I can even get traffic reports, webcams, and street views along the majority of the route. It’s safe to say I have a pretty good idea of what is coming.

Paul, the first missionary, went on extensive trips detailed in Acts. He didn’t have the advantage of Google maps to tell him when each wave would crash against his vessel’s hull. The travel was a big part of Paul’s life, but it just gets glossed over in Acts. In three verses, weeks of travel are covered.

As I try to scrutinize the map, pick the best course, and prepare myself for the trip, I wonder if I am I focusing too much on the details? Is it just going to be a part of my life that will be covered by less than three sentences? It sure doesn’t seem like it as I set out. But this adventure may be reduced to a brief mention in the tale of my life.

No comments: