25 January 2010

update for... January?

I haven't posted in a while. I know. Maybe it's cause I have been in hiding. or just not sure enough of what to post. Or maybe there is too much to say, and I don't know if you really want to hear about it. So for the big news...

I got a car. An awesome car. A car that, while not being built specifically for Alaska, is meant for a place like this.
Meet Rafiki the Snow Leopard. Raf is a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder with 92,000 miles when i got him. He has a manual transmission and 4 wheel drive. The kind of 4 wheel drive with locking hubcaps. Which I know nothing about. Anyone want to give me lessons on when to lock it, and when to drive 4x4 versus 2x4? Its all new to me!

Yes, I realize that rafiki was not a snow leopard, but a baboon in the Lion King. Lucky for me, the name doesn't come from the popular Disney movie. The word Rafiki means friend in swahili. I found him through a friend, after months of scouring through craigslist postings, I realized that this friend runs an auto broker business, and was able to get me wheels. For the snow leopard, a friend pointed out that snow leopards are really rare, kind of like finding a good not worn out car here in Anchorage. That, and he starts well in the snow and cold.



More big news is regarding work. I did not get the flying job I was really hoping for, but it all worked out. My current job offered me a promotion of sorts, increasing my pay a bit, and moving me into a full time M-F schedule. My boss asked me to work in that position through december. The more I thought about it, the more it seemed like a good plan. As much as I like adventure, its time for me to settle down, have some stability, and enjoy a set schedule. Watch out Anchorage, Liz is here to stay for a while!

2 comments:

Karen said...

snow leopard is right - I like the looks of your new wheels!

paquito said...

Congratulations to you and Rafiki!